Initially trained as a nurse and I worked in a regional trauma operating room for many years. As a result of this clinical background, I think strategically, work with surgical precision, and am a team player.
Teaching and Scholarship
For a decade, I served as faculty at the Universities of Edinburgh and Aberdeen:
- Teaching: undergraduate and graduate courses on the sociology of the body, gender, and health and medicine.
- Designing and conducting qualitative research (on women’s health policy and programs).
- Writing (curricula, grants, books, research papers).
As a result, I’ve banked years of deep expertise in teaching, applied research, and publication in peer-reviewed journals.
Educate. Evaluate. Elevate.
My mission is to help you create compelling learning content and demonstrate the value of education as a driver of change in health care outcomes.
As a medical writer—and as a Certified Healthcare CPD Professional—I create high-caliber education content grounded in principles of adult learning to ensure that you engage learners, change behaviors, and create impact.
As a qualitative researcher/storyteller, I capture meaningful education outcomes. I dive into data to elevate learner voices. I find the mechanisms of behavioral change and the factors driving the effectiveness of educational interventions. I’ll train you to optimize qualitative data in continuing education too.
And then I help you tell the story of your work in outcomes reports and peer-reviewed publications.
As a podcast host, my goal is to uplift the continuing healthcare education community by sharing compelling stories of educational transformation.
My unique clinical and research background ensures that I lead the way in creating evidence-based content and in using qualitative data to capture and share stories that affirm the role of education in changing clinical practice and improving patient outcomes.
- Howson A, Turell W. Qualitative outcomes in CME/CPD: Exploring non-linear contexts and lived experiences in patient-directed interventions. J Euro CME. 2020;9(1). doi: 10.1080/21614083.2020.1834760
- Turell W, Howson A, MacDiarmid SA, Rosenberg MT. Taking OAB seriously: A qualitative evaluation of primary care education on overactive bladder syndrome management. Int J Clin Pract. 2020(e13604): doi: 10.1111/ijcp.13604. Online ahead of print.
- Turell W, Roc A, Pioro E, Howson A. Living With the Burden of Pseudobulbar Affect: A Qualitative Analysis of the Effects of Education on Patient Experience. J Pat Exper. March 2, 2020.
- DeNeui T, Berg, J, Howson, A. Best practices in care for menopausal patients: 16 years after the Women’s Health Initiative. JAANP. 2019. 31(7):420-427.
- Howson A, Turell W, Roc A. Perceived self-efficacy in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas: Qualitative outcomes in patient-directed education. Health Education Journal. March, 2018.
- Beaser RS, Howson A, Turell W. Strategies to Improve Prevention and Management in Diabetic Retinopathy: Qualitative Insights from A Mixed Methods Study. Diabetes Spectrum, 2017
- Bosworth HB, Pini M, Walters CB, et al. The Future of Patient Engagement in the Oncology Setting: How Practical Patient Engagement Recommendations and Innovative Inter-Professional Education Can Drive Change. J Soc Part Med. April 2017.
- LeBlanc TW, Howson A, Turell W, et al. Risk stratification, treatment selection, and transplant eligibility in multiple myeloma: a qualitative study of the perspectives and self-reported practices of oncologists. Current Oncology. 2016;23(6). e598–e604.
- Treisman GJ, Jayaram G, Margolis RL, et al . Perspectives on the Use of eHealth in the Management of Patients With Schizophrenia. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2016 Aug;204(8):620-9.
- Mehran R, Baber U, Sharma SK, et al. Ticagrelor with or without Aspirin in High-Risk Patients after PCI. NEJM. 2019;182:125-134.
- Whyte , Winiecki S, Hoffman C, Patel K. FDA collaboration to improve safe use of fluoroquinolone antibiotics: an ex post facto matched control study of targeted short-form messaging and online education served to high prescribers. Pharmacy Practice. 2020. 18(2):Apr-Jun: 1773
White Papers, Reports, Industry Articles
White Papers and Industry Articles
- Interprofessional Pathways for Successful Transitions of Care in Patients with Clostridioides Difficile Infection.
- Real-World Impact of Interactive Decision Support Tools in Changing Clinical Practice at the Point of Care
- Best Practices In Patient-Directed Medical Education and Outcomes Evaluation
- Coordinated Learning to Improve Evidence-based Care: A Model for Continuing Education for the New Healthcare Environment
- Playing the Imitation Game: Improving Healthcare Quality with Patient Simulation
- Working in Concert: Orchestrating Quality through Interprofessional Education
- Understanding New Therapies through the Power of Education. Biocom Lifelines. p.19, Fall, 2017.
Comprehensive Mixed Methods Needs Assessments
- Understanding the Educational Needs of Healthcare Providers on Emerging Treatments for HER2-Positive Advanced Breast Cancer.
- Understanding the Educational Needs of Healthcare Providers on Novel Treatments in Urothelial Carcinoma.
- Optimal Care of Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer: Understanding Clinical and Contextual Needs Among US Oncology Specialist Healthcare Providers.
Let’s Make Sense
of Your Data Together
Create compelling learning content and demonstrate the value of education
as a driver of change in patient outcomes.